Monday, May 07, 2012

Wooden Eiffel Tower for Baby Girl Tutorial

Welcome back Say It With Letters readers. :)  I've been enjoying time with my little ones and also recovering from ALL of us being sick.  We had our April school vacation and all five of us got sick.  Not much fun let me tell ya!  But we've recovered and are spending time outdoors in between the rainy spring weather we've been having.

I'm excited to share pictures for a new shape we designed.  We've had several people request an Eiffel Tower shape and now I'm excited to share it.  You can find it in our Etsy shop HERE.  Design Team member, Kim created this darling Eiffel Tower shape for a friend who's having a baby girl soon.  Isn't that the sweetest?!  I never know what the DT will create with their projects and hadn't thought of it for baby but I think it's so perfect!  Beautiful job Kim.  Read on for a great tutorial that Kim created for us!


Eiffel Tower for Baby Girl Tutorial
by Kim Schofield

1)      Gather Your Supplies – I’m using paper and stickers from Graphic 45, Zip Dry, Scissors, Exacto Knife, Sanding Tool, Walnut Stain Distress Ink, blending tool, foam tape, and adhesive.


2)      Apply Zip Dry to the entire piece (note that I rarely paint my pieces before applying paper because I love the natural look of the wood.  Others may want to paint first, using acrylic paints, to match their papers)


3)      Using the entire piece of 12x12 designer paper, press the glued piece onto the back side of the paper you wish to be on the FRONT of your piece.


4)      Use scissors to roughly cut off the excess paper, cut as close to the shape as possible.


5)      Use Exacto knife to cut off remaining paper; use the edge of the shape as a guide.


6.  Turn the piece over and use a sanding tool to smooth all of the edges.  A nail file works great for the small corners!


7.  I wanted a vintage look to this piece so I used dark brown ink and a blending tool to apply ink to all of the edges.  This is also a great way to hide any minor flaws. 



8.  Here’s the fun part…Decorate!  Use stickers, rhinestones, pearls, buttons, whatever matches your style to decorate your piece!



9.  Finished piece!  Perfect for a friend who is expecting a baby girl in a few months…


 Such a sweet project.  And thanks, Kim for the awesome tutorial.  I hope you all enjoyed it too.  You can visit Kim's blog for more inspiring projects.  She's a beautiful card maker too. :) 

2 comments:

LaurieStar said...

This is so cute and so perfect for a baby's room - I love all the embellishments! :)

LaurieStar said...

I love this! It came out so great and I love all the embellishments she used. Great idea for a baby's room!