Monday, May 28, 2012

Herbs and Chickens!

What a gorgeous weekend it's been!  Happy Memorial Day to you.  I hope you're enjoying it too.  We've been preparing to plant our garden and also expecting the arrival of our chicks that arrive this week.  Twelve baby chicks will be here on Wednesday or Thursday and I can't wait to show you pictures!  We've talked about getting chickens for several years so I'm excited that we're finally getting them.  


We've been clearing out a few trees in our yard preparing for the chicken coop that hubby will be building.  The chicks stay indoors for about a month so we have a little time.  With the trees that have come down I now have a very sunny spot along the side of my house that I could only have shade plants there. 


Now it's a nice and sunny spot so I planted some basil, parsley, thyme and cilantro.  I already had chives growing there and a few flowers.  It's right outside our kitchen door so I love that I now have this little sweet smelling spot to grow and pick my herbs!  The back yard is in a bit of disarray but we do have a vision of what we want it to be.  With time, I see strawberries, blueberries and a small orchard.  We'll get there eventually.  Hope you're enjoying your day.

4 comments:

Scrap for Joy said...

Chickens! Wow, you are ambitious. I'm sure the kids will go crazy over them..a good farming lesson. I just planted all of my herbs in pots on the deck and I, too, love to touch them and smell the fragrance on my hands! Lemon thyme is my favorite...I have a recipe for shortbread cookies with lemon thyme I'm hoping to try.
Please take care of yourself.
xoxo

LaurieStar said...

Hi Debbie!

I love having a little herb garden close to the kitchen too. I have chives, cilantro, basil, oregano and if I had more room I'd have rosemary too. And sage. I do a lot of cooking with those!
I can't wait to see pictures of your chickens and the coop when it's done. Your hubby is very industrious! :)

STAMPMOM9 said...

Oh I cant wait to see the coop!! How exciting, when we lived in Sunbury on a farm in a house from the 1800's we had chickens and a little bit of everything....that was when my older ones were little...so much fun!! Your little ones will just have the best time with them!!! :o) Trying to play catch up like always, lol! Your basil is BEAUTIFUL!!! Happy summer to you too! Hugs!

LaurieStar said...

When do we get to see some chicken pics??? Inquiring minds want to know! :)