Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fabric Covered Wooden Butterfly Tutorial

Happy Valentine's Day, my friends!  I left little goodies for my kiddos 
on the table as they haven't woken up just yet.  I'm excited to see their 
happy faces.  I hope you have a special love day too.
 
I'm really excited to share a tutorial that Design Team member, Laurie  
created with our {butterfly collection}.  Aren't they puuuurttttyy??! 
I just love them so much!  The red and pink with black contrast are 
really striking to me.
 
Read along to hear how she covered them in fabric. 
 
SIWL Butterfly Tutorial
by Laurie Cass-Griggs   

These butterfly shapes are adorable and they come in a set of five  
from large to small! Right now I'm all about fabric and I wanted to  
make these girlie and fun for Valentine's Day, so I used lots of pink  
and red.

 
First, pick 5 different fabrics that you think go well together. Lay  
the butterfly shape on top of the fabric and trace around it. I use a  
black ballpoint pen so I can see it well. Then cut out around the  
shape, cutting just within your tracing mark. Do this for all five  
pieces, alternating your fabric colors in a pattern you like. Don't  
worry too much if your fabric is a bit wrinkled, the glue will take  
care of this problem. 
 
 
I then take my Aleen's glue and squeeze a thin layer of glue directly  
onto the shape. 
 
 
I use a bit of scrap cardboard to spread it out in a  
thin film, making sure to get it all the way to the edges. Then I  
place the fabric down on top, matching the edges first and then  
smoothing out the center until it's flat and there's no bubbles of air  
underneath.

Try not to go overboard on the glue or it will seep through to the  
front of the fabric. A little works great.

 
Then apply your fabric to the rest of your shapes. After you get them  
all covered it's time for the fun part - embellishing! 
 
 
I used this really cute fabric that had words like: "adore," "love" and "pretty"  
printed on it and it seemed fitting for this project. I also used some  
flowers, buttons and other embellishments, including a silver frame  
that I really like. I adhered most of the embellishments with glue or  
glue dots.  I loved the way they turned out! :) 



I love the way they turned out too, Laurie!!  Laurie's been on the Say It With Letters DT since the beginning and I have to say these are my favorite project of hers and I've had quite a few favorites!!  :)  Thanks for sharing your creations with us, Laurie and thanks to each of you for checking in.  Laurie also has an Etsy shop, Trinkets, be sure to check them out too!  It's a happy place.

Happy Valentine's Day to you!  xo

2 comments:

LaurieStar said...

Ahhhh!! No pictures again! Darn. Thanks for posting though. Happy Valentine's Day. :)

Julie Masse said...

I can't see the pics either Deb - or for the earlier tutorial. But I sure do LOVE Laurie's Butterflies!! :)