Tuesday, September 27, 2011

COZY letters Tutorial by Pamela Young

I'm so excited to share another COZY project with you.  I am *loving* these adorable and cozy letters that Pamela Young created!  She used the Autumn Splendor collection from We R Memory Keepers, which works so perfectly with our COZY letters!  Please read on for a wonderful step by step tutorial.


COZY Tutorial by Pamela Young:

Hi everyone!  It's my first post here and let me just say that I am so excited to be joining the design team...I have loved Say It With Letters for so long!  I was thrilled when I received my first project, the new 8" Cozy letters in the mail.  

Here's what I did with them:


Now...

Let's break it down..

I started with my bare letter.


 

I covered it with adhesive.  


 

I turned my letter over and laid it on the backside of the patterned paper I wanted on it.  



I like to turn it over after that and use my brayer to run over it all to make sure it all gets adhered down, with no air bubbles or lumps.  



Do this to each of your letters with 4 different pieces of patterned papers.  :)

Depending on what adhesive you used, you may want to allow it to dry some at this stage.  It's up to you...I don't always.  ;)

Then I turn my letter over and I take my craft knife and cut the paper off around my letter.


 

Then you should have something like this:


I like to sand my edges some just to make it look smoother.


And then another thing I always like to do is paint the edges of my wood.




All of mine:



Then you have the base for your projects.  You could leave it at that and it would look beautiful, but I am an embellisher.  :)  So I took each letter and added a few things to it.  

Here are my letters embellished:


I added two chipboard photo corners.  Those leaves are hand cut and stitched around, and I added a chipboard tag on top.  



Wasn't this tag just perfect to use with this project?  I placed it over the middle (popped up) and added ribbon.  


 
On my z, I decided to change it up and add some patterned paper behind the wood (you can cut holes for the mounting holes on the back of the wood).  Then I added another one of my leaves and some chipboard that I again popped up.  


 And finally, for my y I added some more chipboard photo corners.  Then I wrapped some ribbon around the y, twisting and knotting.  Then I printed the words for "a cozy home is a happy home", layered them on paper and popped them up on my y.  :)  

And there you have it....a lot of pictures, but hopefully that all made sense.  

Here's my Cozy letters for you one last time.  



Thanks for stopping in today!  Have a fantastic day!

Pamela


Pamela's also created a Blanket Stitch tutorial on how she hand stitched around the leaves on the letter C.  I think it creates such a handmade, cozy feel.  You can use the blanket stitch for so many projects too!

What a beautiful project, Pam!!  Thank you so much for the awesome tutorial!  Please visit Pam's blog for more details, including the Blanket Stitch tutorial.  Thanks everyone for stopping by.

2 comments:

LaurieStar said...

Wow! I love this project and it's warm colors. The stitched leaves are really a nice touch. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Scrap for Joy said...

I love these letters and what Pamela has done with them. They are so appealing to me and I just realized that part of the reason is that she used the same paper line that I did with my leaves :D The embellishing touches are so classic and classy!
Joyce