Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Amy Powers, Inspired Ideas + Sugary Houses

By now, I know you're all familiar with the sweet Amy Powers of the blog, Inspire Co. I thought I'd share the link to this online magazine FILLED with so many adorable, little projects and holiday inspiration! You can view it online HERE. It has projects by Mary Engelbreit, Charolotte Lyons, Amy herself and so many others! You'll love it! The best part? It's free!
A couple years back I had the pleasure of working with Amy when she was our Guest Designer. She created an adorable village of sugary houses in her signature style. I thought I'd share it with you today.

Base paint the entire little house the color you'd like for the house to be. Once the paint is dry, paint the details like the roofline, chimney, doors, windows. If you're shaky, use tape to mask off areas where you don't want the paint. Add polka dots and stripes and more details when that coat dries. Alternatively, you could cut out bits of paper for details like the shutters, doors, and windows and glue them into place.



For the piece with an open doorway and windows, glue paper bits to the back of the piece.


Add accents like tiny Christmas balls, millinery flowers, beads, pom-poms using hot glue. Have fun with this part and look at everyday things with fresh eyes. Let yourself play!



Coat the entire front of the piece with craft glue using a broad paint brush. Put glue over the bits and bobs too.

With a piece of paper underneath collect the run-off, pour a generous amount of clear glitter over the entire piece. Shake off the excess.Ta-dah!
Isn't it adorable?! Just a little holiday inspiration. Thanks for reading.


"A smile is a light in the window which shows the heart is at home." Martin Buxbaum





4 comments:

BonnieRose said...

beautiful houses.. and yes isn't this magazine fabulous?? love it!

LaurieStar said...

I have always loved her take on these houses! Super colorful, glittery goodness! Love her holiday book too!

Carrie said...

That's a lot of holiday inspiration :) Love it :) yay!

heidi said...

Hi Deb!
Wow, it's been a long time since I've said "hi"! I put my blog back up earlier this year (after closing it for a year.) I'll add your blog link to my list now!

Love your little house, decorated by Amy. Did you know I have a article in that issue? It was so much fun to be a part of Amy's Christmas issue!

Blessings to you & your sweet family!
Hugs, Heidi