Sunday, October 31, 2010

Guest Designer, the talented Jody Morrow :: Christmas Countdown Calendar


Hello everyone! You're in for a real treat today! I have an AWESOME tutorial for you from our Guest Designer, the sweet and talented, Jody Morrow aka The Ribbon Addict! She has a really inspiring blog and was so wonderful to work with on our standing Christmas tree project. Isn't it adorable?! I love what she did with it. Here's a closeup of the tinsel-ey base. I totally love it!



Read on to learn a bit more about Jody and also a step by step tutorial on how she created this fun project. You can also find more info on her blog, Confessions of a Ribbon Addict HERE.


Hi there! My name is Jody Morrow, and I have a confession: I am a paper-crafting addict. I love to shop for and collect supplies just as much as I like using them. I have a feeling I am not alone! LOL I have been stamping for about 8 years. From the moment my hands touched a stamp, I was hooked, and went full-steam ahead. I love making cards and gifts! I am a mother to three amazing kids and wife to a great guy (who supports my hobby in every way). I am honored to have been asked by Deb to be a guest designer. The products at Say it With Letters are great, and I enjoyed creating the Christmas Countdown Calendar using the 12" Christmas Tree.

Here is a step-by-step tutorial for you:
These are the 2 pieces included in the Christmas tree.
First, I "painted" the edges of the tree with a SU Soft Suede reinker (watered down a bit) using a water brush. I also used a sponge for the larger areas. I got totally messy, and that was fine. I didn't try to be perfect. The flat sides will be covered up anyway.
I grabbed The Best Glue Ever, and squirted it liberally all over the tree (next pic).

I laid my tree over an entire sheet of 12 X 12 patterned paper and allowed it to dry for several hours. I am not a fan of tracing with a pencil and then cutting out and trying to match it up. This removes a step AND has better results. ;) After it was dry, I sliced along the edge of the tree with my craft knife. This was pretty easy to do. The tree gave it support and I just sliced away.
Here it is all trimmed.
Repeat the steps above for the other side. I used a cuticle tool (for nails, that I bought as a stamping tool LOL) to scrape the excess glue from around the tree before I set it aside to dry. It worked like a charm.
I used a round Basic Grey sanding tool to sand the inner corners of the tree to make sure it was nice and "clean". Here is the other side, finished.
Now, just put on your thinking cap and decorate. I opted for the Christmas Countdown idea!
And here's a few more details too.

I completely LOVE it, Jody! Thank you so much for the inspiration.

Did you know there are less than 57 days until Christmas?! Time to start crafting! :) Thanks for stopping by. xoxo

9 comments:

BonnieRose said...

this is so so beautiful Jody! Love it!!!!! Way to rock that holiday tree! LOVE IT.. XOXOO hugs fr Fargo
bonnierose

STAMPMOM9 said...

OMGoodness!! AWESOME!! I LOVE IT Jody!!! Sweet idea and the colors are fabulous!!Nice intro bio!! Love it!! I'm glad you can confess! LOL!! shhhhhh me tooo!! Great tutorial!! (was I supposed to do that??) Oh no next time~ Hugs, Dawn :o)

Michelle H. said...

Jody, this is so very pretty!!!
Love the design and the colors!!
Love it!!

Julie Masse said...

I saw this on Jody blog the other day - awesome project!! What a great idea for the wonderful tree - and great step-by-step!! Nice job Jody! :)

Jen said...

Oh my gosh - that is SO cute!!! Love it!!!

Scrap for Joy said...

This is such a clever idea Jody...I love the countdown concept..although I almost fainted when I read how many days there are until Christmas-Yikes! Your tutorial was very helpful and easy to understand..thanks!
Joyce

Julie Ann Shahin said...

HOW AWESOME!!!!! I need one! Just gorgeous.

LaurieStar said...

What a beautiful project and a great idea! I love what she did with the tree!

stephanie said...

THis is absolutely gorgeous.