Sunday, April 18, 2010

More Design Team Shares - SEW Fabulous!!

Hello there. I've been so busy doing all last minute things for Baby #3's arrival! :) I'm so ready at this point and anxious to meet the little guy. Think good thoughts for me please.
I'm SO excited to share these Design Team projects using our new SEW letters with the Chunky Monkey lettering style! This is Project 1 of the DT projects this month and I KNOW you're going to love them!! Kory's are SO adorable! She picked such pretty papers from Crate Paper and used actual sewing embellishments on the project. She sewed around the edges of the paper and used bobbins with coordinating thread and a zipper to decorate. Oh, and cute little PINK scissors with straight pins and flower buttons. This project is SOOOO cute!!







Aren't Laurie's so bright and cheery! She covered hers in fabric and used handmade floral embellishments and embroidery floss around the edges. SO fun!
And I'm thrilled to share Julie Ann's project that was just featured on the Bad Girl's blog. She used vintage notions from an antique store, vintage patters from a flea market and then added sewing themed scrapbooking embellishments and buttons. I LOVE the finished design! She also graciously provided a tutorial on creating these very cool letters yourself!
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. To make the letters, I traced the letters upside down on dark grey felt.
2. To make the rag quilt border, I cut a tiny slit in the fabric, and then tore the fabric into strips at the desired width. You can tell that my strips were quite slim, less than a half inch.
3. Then I cut the strips into 1.5" lengths.
4. I put the patterns in order - yellow, blue, multi, pink, yellow, blue, multi, pink, and so on, and so on, and attached the ends with fabric glue.
5. I then sewed this new border created in step #4 onto the edge of each letter.
6. I added vintage notions, vintage pattern designs, vintage measuring tape, buttons and chipboard thickers to each letter using either fabric glue or embroidery thread. I set this aside.
7. I made a ruffle from a vintage patter, and attached to the side of each MDF letter with adhesive.
8. I trimmed each ruffle with decorative scissors, scalloped pattern.
9. I attached the felt portion to the top of the letter with fabric glue. I repeated this for each letter.
Don't you love these letters??? All the vintage touches are perfect!
Thanks ladies for all your inspiration! You've outdone yourselves. Enjoy everyone. xxooo







3 comments:

Kimmarie said...

Great work ladies! I love the embellishments that were added to the letters. I think I need to spell out the word quilt and alter it for my cousin. Great inspiration!

Jennifer Priest said...

So cute!! Love all the different treatments and techniques!! ;)

LaurieStar said...

Wow! These are so awesome! I love all the bright colors and super creative take on all of these - what a great thing to hang in your sewing room/studio! Neat project!