Friday, August 21, 2009

Guest Designer :: the sweet and talented Raechelle Bellus

Hi Everyone! It's Friday!! Yippeee! Hubby and I have a date night tonight. Thank goodness for Grammy. :)
Well, I'm thrilled to welcome our other Guest Designer by my friend Raechelle Bellus. When you send out projects you have no idea how they'll be decorated but when Rae sent me this picture - I fell in love with this girlie little whale. She has *eyelashes*! :) Read on to learn a bit more about Rae and her tutorial to create your own whale.
Hello! I'm Raechelle (pronounced Rachel) Bellus and I am thrilled to have been asked to be a guest designer this month! I have been scrapping for about 7 years now and don't know what I would do without this passion! I enjoy creating and like to try new things, even though I have my old standby's. My favorite colors to scrap with are pinks and blues and browns and reds, and you will fnd these colors often in my work. I have been published several times in the past, however it's been a long time since I have submitted anything for publication.
I am a mom/step-mom to 5 girls (who all live with us); ages 9-18, as well as a 19 yo step-son who is in the Army. We have 2 dogs, 4 cats and some fish. I work about 30 hours a week as a cashier at Target, not my dream job, but it pays the bills. We live in Spokane Valley, WA, where we get a good taste of all 4 seasons, which is something I truly enjoy.
In my spare time, I try to spend as much time as I can hanging out with my dh and girls; we play a lot of card and board games, or just hang out and talk. We enjoy hitting the area thrift stores and taking small day trips to Montana. I love to read, and try to read at least one book a month.
Scrapping is my creative escape and I am thankful that my family is supportive. There is no better feeling than seeing the look on one of my kids' faces when I create something for them.
TUTORIAL:
1. trace whale (or any shape) shape onto patterned paper, making sure the paper and whale are both front-facing.
2. cut out and set aside.
3. paint edges and nooks and cranny of whale. I used spray paint just because it was easier, however any acrylic paint works fine.
4. while paint is drying, cut small piece of pp for the "belly" area. Adhere to pp whale body and then using a sewing machine, stitch around the entire paper whale.
5. Once paint has dried, adhere the paper whale to the wood shape (I used Mod Podge) and press down firmy to smooth out air bubbles. I usually apply more around the edges, just to hold it better. Once dry I distressed all the edges with sandpaper to give it a bit of added interest.
6. once dry, add some buttons for dimension around the belly area and an eye. I used a MM epoxy button for the eye, and placed a few tiny strips of DMC floss underneath for eyelashes. I added the flower and bow just to give her some balance because she looked too plain for my taste.
7. add water spout.
for spout:
1. paint chipboard, let dry.
2. add some glue and sprinkle some glitter.
3. once dry, adhere to back of whale.

She's just adorable Rae! Thanks for working with us and for the inspiration. You can find our little whale HERE. And be sure to visit Rae's blog for more inspiring ideas.
Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

LaurieStar said...

Oh my gosh! I just saw this! How darling - I love it. I love the colors and the buttons. Super cute!

Kory said...

Love this Rae!! Super cute!

TxScrapAddict said...

Love this project Raechelle!!!

Dawn Hopkins said...

That is so cute Rae!