Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Guest Designer :: How to Alter Letters

OK, our latest Guest Designer is the talented Vicki Chrisman. Here's a little info on Vicki.

Hi , my name is Vicki Chrisman. I live in Nebraska with my husband and our two pups. We have two grown sons that also live here in Nebraska. I have been a paper crafter for as long as I can remember. I love scrapbooking , but it’s more than that.. it’s a love of paper crafting of ever kind. I also love home décor, so the fact that the paper crafting and scrapbooking industry has jumped into home décor with both feet, thrills me to know end.

I am happy to design for Fancy Pants Designs, Crafty Secrets, PageFrames, Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L, AccuCut, and Tattered Angels.

You can see more of my work on my blog “This ART that makes me Happy” at http://vickichrisman.blogspot.com/



I have always loved this FAMILY letter set - just a very simple lettering style. Classic. And I adore the papers Vicki chose for these. She also created a FAB how to. I know most of you probably already know how to alter these but I find it helpful to see if maybe someone has a better way or just new tips for altering. And, we get lots of newbies here and you all know that once you start altering.. you just can't stop!! So, yes, I'm trying to alter-enable!!

Here goes...

1). Lay your letter or shape down onto the back side of your paper with the front side of the letter or shape facing down. Using a pencil, trace around the letter or shape, as close to it as possible














2). Cut the traced shape out.











3). Using a glue stick, mod podge or zip dry, cover your letter or shape with adhesive. (making sure you get right to the edges is very important)










4). Using a small scissors, trim any excess paper from around the edges of the letter.










5). Using a sanding block or (a large coarse emery board) , sand edges smoothly , all the way around. It works best to do it ,always working in a “downward” motion, as not to pull the paper up along the edges.









6). I use a coarse emery board, but a number of different companies make sanding tools . Different sizes and shapes to get into tight areas. I didnt really need these for this project , my regular emery board worked just fine.









7. )I repeated this process with each letter, picking a different patterned paper for each one.














See, I've never tried using a glue stick. I usually use Mod Podge or I've heard people like zip dry because it dries so quickly! Thanks Vicki for the inspiration and for the awesome step by step!

If you're interested in being one of our guest designers or know someone who should, please e-mail us with information deb[at]sayitwithletters[dot]com.




"Other things may change us, but we start and end with family"


7 comments:

Sugar Bear said...

Mmm, root beer floats are the best! Vicki did a great job with the letters.
Karla

Jenniwren32 said...

Love the combination of papers on your letters Vicki. Very elegant!!!

Jen

LaurieStar said...

Glad to hear you're seeing some movies and reclaiming a little bit of "you" time which is important with kids to recharge your batteries!

I love the family letters! Very soft and pretty - those would look nice in a family room or anywhere!

Kimmarie said...

I can't wait to see the new Rambo! happy that you had some "me" time. Vicki's "family" word is so nice - love how she chose to photo it. I always use Zip Dry glue never thougth glue stick would be strong enough... I guess I will have to try that too. tfs

{monica} said...

Great job on the family letters...very pretty! I never thought about using a gluestick either...great idea!

Bethany said...

Can I tell you how YUMMY that root beer float looks?! I have been craving one all day now! I better get the stuff to make 'em next time I am out!!

Love the latest creations you have been sharing!!

Carrie said...

Love the family letters! Beautiful paper choices!!!