Sunday, July 06, 2008

Guest Designer, the fabulous Jenny Heid, Everyday is a Holiday

First Place :: Picking our guest designers is always so much fun for me. There are so many talented people in this little blogging world and I can see some fabulous ladies working with our products! Take Jenny Heid and her magical little blog, Everyday is a Holiday. I love her and Aaron's work! I bought one of their sweet creations a few years back (a tasty piece with cupcakes) that's hanging in my kitchen. Sooo... what better than to see what she creates with our stuff! We sent her the trophy cup - something I KNEW she would make look fabulous - and she did! Read on for a bit of info on Jenny and see her magical piece!

My name is Jenny. I am an artist/designer from The New Jersey shore...about 45 mins from N.Y.C. (home to some of the most fabulous old fashioned bakeries on earth!!) Together with my boyfriend/best friend/partner in crime (Aaron) I have been designing and painting furniture and home accessories for over 12 years! Our designs have graced the pages of some of our favorite magazines such as Country Living, Country Home, Woman's Day decorating ideas, Design New Jersey, Romantic Homes, Somerset Life, and were featured on NBC's The Today Show with Matt Lauer. We have been lucky enough to work with some of the most amazing designers and decorators in the Tri state area, and beyond, and have earned a long list of celebrity clients! Our apt is filled to the brim with all things vintage bakery and Holiday. I try to bake as often as my pocket book will allow! Oh...and I am addicted to vintage paper mache rabbits! REALLY!

When I was asked to be a guest designer for sayitwithletters.com I jumped at the chance and I was thrilled to find that when they sent my box of goodies they included their MDF trophy cup that I'd been admiring from afar. I'd been dying to do a trophy shaped design to go along with the little collection of real life vintage trophies I own. The first thing I did was paint the trophy white. Even though MDF is fine to glue to directly I like to work on top of flat white acrylic paint because it soaks up Mod Podge a bit and leaves just enough wetness to adhere the papers without any risk of bubbling, wrinkling, or rippling. And plus I wanted the outer edges to be white for when I'd later apply the antique wash. I chose the Silver Damask paper from Daisy D's for the body of the cup because I thought it could sorta resemble etched silver. The arms of the trophy are done in vintage sheet music. And although I'll tie in sheet music with almost anything, in this case it's apropos, because this is a first place trophy for a musical performance. The base of the cup is a paper by Jenni Bowlin studio called Vintage Black Star Dot...again, the pattern is not without meaning...this little girl is a music "star". So with gluing papers to shaped objects I like to lay them on top of the object and go around the edge with my thumbnail and make a precise crease. Then I cut the papers out along the crease and mod podge them to the object. Next I cut out the vintage photo of my little piano playing girl, centered her on the cup, and mod podged her on. I then put a top coat of mod podge over the whole piece and let it dry. Once dry, I applied a nice and dirty looking antique wash over the whole thing and made sure to rub it around the white edges so they'd get a parchmenty feel. The crepe paper ruffle trim was next, I glued it on with 3 in 1 craft glue by Beacon. The trim itself is from Birds of a Feather...and when you buy your trim, buy two packs...one to use, the other to keep on your shelf in it's adorable packaging. I then cut out a little oval of creamy paper and with a fine tip marker wrote First Place...glued that to the trophy base and framed it with a tiny chipboard oval from Maya Road, which I first coated with some fine silver glass glitter, also from sayitwithletters.com. Then I drew a scallop border around the little gal and gave it a coat of the silver glass glitter. Since this piece was decidedly colorless I wanted to add one pinch of subtle color and a nice girlie touch, so I selected a pale little bundle of vintage millinery flowers and tied them with a bit of pale gray vintage seam binding...I glued the little bouquet on with 3 in 1 glue. I love the look of this piece now, but I know I'll like it even more when the silver glass glitter begins to tarnish.



I just love what she created - so sweet! Thanks Jenny for your inspiring work! Check in this week for the rest of the design team projects.. I'll also let you in on a secret. :) Robyn also decorated a trophy cup and she's having a GIVEAWAY on her blog in honor of her birthday. Go give her some birthday love and you could win one!!
AND... if you're interested in being one of our guest designers, stay tuned for a GUEST DESIGNER CONTEST coming soon!! We love contests around here! Our I Scream for Ice Cream SUMMER CONTEST is still open.. get all the details HERE.

4 comments:

Jolene said...

This project is incredible! Congrats to Jenny on her beautiful GDT project!

LaurieStar said...

Wow - this is a beautiful piece!

Jenniwren32 said...

Awesome project...I love it!!!

Kory said...

So neat! I love the beautiful vintage feel!