Friday, March 21, 2008

Meet Colleen :: Sassy Scallop Square

Meet Colleen! Another new member to our Design Team. You'll love her projects because she's such a talent! But she also has a very inspiring blog that she's always linking to creative folks, some of which you might not have heard of. Which I just love! I enjoy looking at my "regulars" in the blog world but there are so many amazingly talented people in this little community it's fun to find new links. She'll probably become one of your regular reads! Read on to learn a bit more about Colleen!

Hi, my name is Colleen Schaan…and I am an addict…a craft addict that is.

As a crafting enthusiast (enthusiast sounds so much nicer doesn’t it?) I enjoy drawing, painting, paper crafting, photography, rubber-stamping, and of course…altering anything that isn’t nailed down!

About a year ago, I “retired” from the regular classroom to become a freelance writer and designer and have had the opportunity to work with some fan-tabulous people in the crafting world…(like Deb!) Don’t worry though…that teaching degree isn’t going to waste. I recently began teaching on-line crafting classes where I can combine my love of teaching AND crafting…and it doesn’t get any better than that!

Well actually, it does! Designing for Say It With Letters is an absolute dream. I LOVE the fun lettering styles and funky shapes I get to play with and I get the opportunity to share that love with all of you.

Other things I love?
My dear and wonderful husband, two very lazy cats, and two not-so-lazy dogs. When I’m not in my craft studio, you can probably find me outside somewhere enjoying one of my other hobbies: sailing, reading, curling, camping, or flower gardening
.
Now take a peek at her projects! I told you we were working with some of my favorite shapes and letters this month. I find our scalloped square to be SO versatile! I love what Colleen did with hers. Here's a bit more info from her on how she created this look:
I found a photo thatI LOVE...(the sunsets out here are amazing!) I did some photo editingand added some text. I then frosted on a "frame" and piped in a thinline of paste to set it off from the rest of the work. I painted itgold, but it was too brassy so I did a quick color wash with panynesgrey to give it a vintage look. I stamped on the photo with some goldink and added a ribbon to the corners for interest.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
You can find your own scallop square right HERE. Thanks for checking in today!

6 comments:

LaurieStar said...

Colleen -

I too, am a craft addict. Let's just tell it like it is! :) Your project is really wonderful - I really, really love that the frame looks like a museum frame to me. Now I want to try that technique myself. Very cool - great work! :)

Carrie said...

Wonderful creativity Colleen...so glad to meet you and be a team member with such amazing talent!

ஐBeatriz Jenningsஐ said...

Collen! I love your frame! Love your work ! is so inspiring! :)

Robyn Weatherspoon said...

Hey Colleen! I just love your scalloped square! Absolutely beautiful work! I look forward to getting to know you better!

Kari & Kijsa said...

Beautiful job! have a blessed Good Friday and happy Easter weekend!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Julie Masse said...

I LOVE Colleen and her work - she's just a wonderful, amazing person and I'm so happy you picked her Deb!! The frame is just gorgeous! :)