Monday, March 17, 2008

Guest Designer, the fabulous Carol Wingert

I have been such a fan of Carol's work for some years now. She has this wonderfully timeless shabby chic style (that I love so much!) And she's just plain wonderful to work with. She designed one of my *favorite* product of ours, the scalloped square. She wanted it in an extra large 24x24 inch size. Read on to learn a bit more about Carol and for instructions on how she created her wall hanging.

From the time she was a child, Carol Wingert has wanted to teach, create and write. In the world of memory arts, she has found all three passions.

Carol loves to think outside the box and to challenge others to do the same. She's a passionate paper collector (from early childhood) and that continues to be her favorite supply to work with. Add to that inks, paints, colored pencils and crayons, plus some rubber stamps and she can happily create for hours!

Whether it's teaching locally at Scrapbooks, Etc. in Mesa, AZ, traveling through the US or internationally, doing projects for books such as Lifelines and Artful Memories (North Light Books), doing magazine articles for Memory Makers Magazines, or creating and packing kits for her online project kit business, creatologie from carol wingert studio, Carol is excited about waking up every morning and calling these activities her job!

Carol lives in Gilbert, Arizona, with her husband, Vern, daughter, Ashley, and their menagerie of animals. Her favorite pastimes include gardening, reading, cooking and traveling.

To read more about Carol's day to day life, check out her blog at
www.carolwingert.typepad.com.



Here's what I used by way of materials:
Large Scallop and BABY letters-say it with letters!; glitter-say it with letters!; wood paint-Delta; flourish paint-Distress by Ranger; flourish and bird die cuts-Creative Imaginations; buttons-personal collection; ribbon-Maya Road and May Arts; paper and pre-printed embellies-My Mind's Eye; flowers-Bazzill and Imaginesce; bling brad-K&Company

I painted both the letters and the large scallop with light ivory craft paint. I then added cup hooks to the bottom of the scallop and eye hooks to the tops of the letters. I traced the wooden letters onto patterned paper, cut them out and glued onto the face of the letters only. I then added various embellies, including pre-printed title blocks and a transparent flourish.

For the scallop, I cut the patterned paper into 8 1/2" squares and glued down 4 of them to resemble a window. I then painted the flourishes and glittered the birds and lastly, added shell buttons.


I didn't have a single bit of wall space in my house available for hanging so I took it outside and hung it on a weathered sign board.


I just love those flourishes, bird and of course the scallops! Thank you Carol for your inspiration. And go visit her blog for so many other wonderful designs!


The oversized scallop square can be found in our shop HERE. Keep checking this week for the Design Team projects featuring some of our favorite products this month!

9 comments:

Colleen said...

WOW...this is absolutely amazing!!!! I LOVE the pinks, whites and touch of green...this is just sooooo pretty! Thanks for the blog link too Deb...Carol does beautiful work!

Julie Masse said...

What a fun project! Thanks for sharing this Deb! Hope you're feeling well!

Carrie said...

Love the pinks too! Wish my daughter felt the same I would use them more ... I will be sure to check our her blog...Beautiful work

ஐBeatriz Jenningsஐ said...

OMG!!! Love your designs!!! THIS frame is so beautiful!!! TFS! :)

LaurieStar said...

I have always been a fan of Carol's as well. And what a stunning project! I love the sweet pinks she chose for the "baby" letters! Inspiring! What a neat project!

Robyn Weatherspoon said...

Wowieeee! This is one fabulous project! I love it!

Jeanette said...

Carol is such an inspiration and I love what she did with the scalloped block and letters. Fabulous!

Jennifer Sizemore said...

Add me to Carol's fan club, too :)
This is beautiful!

Sara Garza said...

Wow that baby wall decor is beautiful! What an awesome way to use the scalloped block. Thanks for including the link to Carol's blog, there is so much inspiration there.